Wednesday, September 06, 2006

My Favorite Albums - Number 5

Crash - Dave Matthews Band (1996)

I had a roommate in college that loved Dave Matthews Band. My roommate Pak had what I would call eccentric tastes in music. He liked Frank Zappa and Dead Kennedys and Fishbone and several other groups that I had never heard of then and haven't really heard since. But for a while there Pak was playing Under the Table and Dreaming by DMB all the time. I remember when I first saw the video for "What Would You Say?" on MTV, I had been hearing that song for MONTHS already. I must admit that it took a while for Dave to grow on me, but by July of 1995, my brother, girlfriend and I were going to see him in concert.

Crash debuted in 1996, and was the first DMB CD I bought. I immediately loved it. To me, it is a much better listen than its predecessors, and has hints of the direction Dave was taking the band, mainly expanding into more electric guitar and complex arrangements. There are several great songs on this album, but the (almost) medley of "#41" and "Say Goodbye" along with "Lie in Our Graves" are possibly my favorites of all time by DMB. They are so musically interesting that they would be fantastic without the lyrics at all. Carter Beauford's drumming alone on the transition between "#41" and "Say Goodbye" is fantastic. To date, this is still my favorite DMB album, not only because it represents a particular period in my life in a way that the other ones do not, but because it's arguably his best.

No comments: