Thursday, October 12, 2006

Thirty-Three

Today is my birthday. I turned 33 years old this morning at 7:55 CDT. Now one doesn't usually think of 33 as a milestone birthday, but I have thought about it as such ever since I realized as a child that Jesus was 30 when he began his ministry and (most likely) 33 when he was crucified (based on the number of Passovers mentioned in the gospels). I remember when my parents turned 33 thinking about the fact that they were the same age as Jesus when he had completed his ministry on earth, and now I am as well.

Now if you consider it, that's pretty profound. Jesus had spoken and accomplished everything that he was to do on this earth (until his return) in 33 years, more or less.

Then I look at my life. Have I accomplished everything (or anything) that God has planned for me? Well, that's a question that I'm not sure I can answer. Only God knows what he has ordained for my future. But as I reflect on my life, there are some things for which I am grateful - an intelligent, funny, beautiful wife; four fantastic children; a loving, supportive extended family; a good job, doing work I enjoy; a home in a nice, safe neighborhood; and most of all, a Savior who loves me in spite of who I am. Not bad for 33.

1 comment:

Hammertime said...

Happy Birthday, Karl. I turn 33 myself in two months. I hope that I have not done everything planned for me, because I have desires to do more - yet, since we know so little of our impact on others, who am I to say when I should be done?

I know this - when I am done, I pray the welcome will be, "Well done."